Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Revamp

Hello, to anyone who's reading this.  If you're returning from Oddballs United, I know it's been a while.  I thought I'd expand the contents of my blog a little, since my writing is kinda slow, and it was hard for me to maintain.  Trying to do better this time.  But on to the blog itself.

I'm gonna start off with the LARP I participate in.  Monthly, except for the summer, I gather up my costume and weapons, and drive to Camp Kidwell near Kalamazoo, MI.  Once there, I dash to a phonebooth and transform into... SUPER GEEK!!!  Well, that's not quite how it goes.  I usually start off by claiming a bunk and then getting "in character" for the rest of the weekend.  Then I start setting up the main building while I wait for everyone else to show up.  Once the game get's underway, we're going at full tilt for 36 hours with only six hours of sleep.  It's no joke, either.  Everyone is in costume all the time, and acting as their characters in full tilt.  And when I say full tilt, I mean a group of very normal guys are suddenly a high pitched goblin getting into a "drinking" contest with a dwarf, and a werewolf is yelling his rage as he leaps into an undead army...  Well, it sounds stupid to some, but I enjoy being a roving warrior mage carrying a sword in one hand and a death spell in the other.

And then there's the books I'm reading right now.  Currently, I'm reading a series of books entitled "The Age of Fire".  It's a fantasy book, with many of the familiar races: Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Dragons, etc.  But it's not the usual Tolkien spin off.  It's written from the Dragon's perspective, something I've not seen before, and the rest is written in such a way that is very refreshing after all the usual "kill the orcs" stuff.  I heartily recommend this series to any fantasy readers out there.  (By the way, the first three are simultaneous, so you might be able to get away with reading them out of order.)

Well, that's all I have to say for now, so I'll just end it here:
Welcome back,
Nathan of the Arnett clan.

No comments:

Post a Comment